So for all the people who are planning for their next party or pot luck, and not able to decide what to cook …here is the solution to your problem.
Go for Mexican Food …set up a Taco Bar , with both vegetarian and non vegetarian option
That would be such a hit . But now that you are wondering that it only sounds good and it will eat up all your time cooking , let me tell you, with all due respect, you are wrong. Today’s recipe is so easy and perfect to make ahead and all you have to do is place all the ingredients on the table and let your guests serve themselves as per their liking…
I am pretty sure by now you are on board with me on the thought
We Indians love Mexican spicy food … I needn’t say more, but I cannot stop here …The first meal at any restaurant that I had as soon as I landed to Montreal, Canada ~1.5 yrs back was Mexican …but was disappointed ..may be it was my bad day or not the perfect restaurant …… Post that I tried the same and many others Mexican joints here, but, I still craved for the taste of the warm Chicken Rice bowl, Chicken Fajitas, Shrimp Diablo, Crunchy Tacos… that I have had in past in other restaurants ….
So I took the business in my hand and started cooking Mexican at home (starting with simple ones ) and I am pretty happy with the results
I am sharing one such recipe today, the Chicken Taco …with Guacamole and fresh salsa .Its very simple although the list of ingredients might look big, but once gathered its way too simple to cook and you can even assemble the filling in a Lettuce to skip the traditional taco shell.
If you are interested in the vegetarian option ……you can directly click on link “Vegetarian Taco” for the same
Vegetarian Taco :http://youmeandthekitchen.com/2016/12/31/vegetarian-taco/
Also If you are interested in detailed recipe of Guacamole, Click Here or below
This Taco recipe is an easy make ahead for get together, parties and pot lucks and your guests can make/self-serve their own Taco with the choice of their fillings
Hope you enjoy
- 1 kg skinless and boneless Chicken (cut into very small pieces)
- 2 Garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 Tsp Chilli Powder
- 3 Tbs Taco seasoning,I used Old El Paso Mild (see notes for making your own seasoning)
- 1 Tbs Cooking Oil
- Salt (to taste , the seasoning already has salt)
- 1 Cup Tomato Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Onion Chopped
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Coriander Chopped
- 1/2 Cup sweet corn kernel ( direct from can or steamed)
- 2 Jalapeno chopped (green chilli can also be used as a substitute)
- 1 Tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 Tsp red chilli powder (optional)
- 1 Tbs Lime juice
- 3 Medium sized Avocado (ripe)
- 1 Tbs Lime Juice
- 1/2 Cup onion finely chopped
- 1 green chilli (chopped)
- 1/2 Cup cucumber (chopped)
- 1/4 Cup fresh Coriander (chopped)
- 1 Tsp ground black pepper
- 1 Tsp salt (to taste)
- 10 Taco Shells (soft or hard) , I used Old El Paso crunchy Taco shell (lettuce too can be used as a wrap)
- 1 Cup Shredded cheese (Cheddar/Mozzarella or a mix)
- 3 Cups chopped Romaine Lettuce (for topping)
- 1 Cup Sour Cream (for topping)
- 1/4 Cup Sriracha or any other chili based sauce (for topping)
- In a medium sized pan over medium-high heat, pour the cooking oil and once heated, add the chopped garlic and saute for 1 min with constant stirring (watch out Garlic gets burnt very easily).
- Add the chicken and cook for 5 mins with occasional stirring.
- Lower the flame to low and cover the pan with a lid and cook for 10 mins
- Remove the lid and add the Taco seasoning, chili powder and cook with occasional stirring until chicken is fully cooked and all the water has evaporated. At this point you can even break any of the bigger chicken pieces into small using your spatula
- Taste the chicken and adjust salt and chili if needed.
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and keep it aside till serving . You can hold on to the salt and lime juice and put it only when ready to serve .This prevents the salsa from becoming too watery.
- Mix all the ingredients to the mash avocados and its ready to serve .
- Detailed recipe is available at http://youmeandthekitchen.com/2016/12/31/guacamole/
- Line up the Taco shells and put 2-3 Tbs of the Chicken filling
- Top it with some chopped lettuce ,1 Tbs Guacamole ,1 Tbs Salsa , 1 Tbs Sour cream ,1/2 Tsp Sriracha and little cheese
- 1) Use chicken thighs for juicer chicken filling, if using chicken breast, just add 1 Tbs of butter while cooking.
- 2) If you do not have the Taco seasoning available, you can make yours by mixing the below ingredients together
- 2 Tbs Chilli Powder
- 1 Tsp salt
- 2 Tbs ground cumin
- 1/2 Tbs ground black pepper
- 1 Tsp garlic powder (optional, you can simply increase the Garlic's quantity in the Chicken Filling)
- 1 Tsp onion powder (optional)
- 1 Tsp paprika/degi mirch
- 1 Tsp red pepper flakes
- 3) Instead of Taco shells, you can also use lettuce leaf and put all the fillings into it and its will be a healthier version of the same Taco
- 4) With the left over filling, you can also make a Rice Bowl. Just put all the ingredients in a bowl over some cooked rice and voila
Ingredients for Guacamole