My never ending love for Mexican food started only after coming to the US ….I had never tasted any of this stuff back in India ..may be I missed exploring the options then ….I know for sure that there are many Mexican eateries out there in India now .
I guess most of the Indians love Mexican food , that’s mainly due to the fact that it feels so close yet so different from Indian food …the spicy salsa ..the yummy Guacamole and the crunchy chips ….simply delicious
In the US , I enjoyed eating at Mexican joints like Chipotle or other authentic Mexican restaurants like Casa Villa etc or may sometimes even grabbing a quick bite from Taco Bell ….
But since I moved to Montreal , Canada , I miss authentic Mexican food . Not that there are no Mexican restaurants here, but because I miss the real taste I have had earlier and the chains like Chipotle and Taco Bell don’t exists in Montreal …
So that led to my urge of cooking Mexican food myself (simple ones to start with) and I was so surprised, that its wasn’t that difficult to put everything together.
I am sharing one such recipe today, the Vegetarian Taco …with Guacamole and fresh salsa .Its very simple although the list of ingredients might look big, but once gathered its way too simple to cook and you can even assemble the filling in a Lettuce to skip the traditional taco shell.
If you are interested in the non-vegetarian option ..you can directly click on link “Chicken Taco” for the same
Chicken Taco :
Also If you are interested in detailed recipe of Guacamole, Click Here or below
This Taco recipe is an easy make ahead for get together, parties and pot lucks and your guests can make/self-serve their own Taco with the choice of their fillings
Hope you enjoy
- 500g Can of White Kidney Beans (See notes for non canned options)
- 500g Can Black Beans also called Haricot beans (See notes for non canned options)
- 2 Garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 small Onion finely chopped
- 1 Tsp Chili Powder
- 2 Tbs Taco seasoning,I used Old El Paso Mild (see notes for making your own seasoning)
- 1 Tbs Cooking Oil
- Salt (to taste , the seasoning already has salt)
- 1 Cup Tomato Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Onion Chopped
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Coriander Chopped
- 1/2 Cup sweet corn kernel ( direct from can or steamed)
- 2 Jalapeno chopped (green chili can also be used as a substitute)
- 1 Tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 Tsp red chili powder (optional)
- 1 Tbs Lime juice
- 3 Medium sized Avocado (ripe)
- 1 Tbs Lime Juice
- 1/2 Cup onion finely chopped
- 1 green chili (chopped)
- 1/2 Cup cucumber (chopped)
- 1/4 Cup fresh Coriander (chopped)
- 1 Tsp ground black pepper
- 1 Tsp salt (to taste)
- 10 Taco Shells (soft or hard) , I used Old El Paso crunchy Taco shell (lettuce too can be used as a wrap)
- 1 Cup Shredded cheese (Cheddar/Mozzarella or a mix)
- 3 Cups chopped Romaine Lettuce (for topping)
- 1 Cup Sour Cream (for topping)
- 1/4 Cup Sriracha or any other chili based sauce (for topping)
- In a medium sized pan over medium-high heat, pour the cooking oil and once heated, add the chopped garlic and saute for 1 min with constant stirring (watch out Garlic gets burnt very easily).
- Add the chopped onions and saute for 2-3 mins until it's turned translucent.
- Lower the flame to Medium-low and add all of the drained White Kidney Beans and Black beans.
- Let it simmer for 10-15 mins with occasionally stirring, we are looking to evaporate as much liquid as possible.
- Add the salt, Taco seasoning ,chili powder (optional) into the Beans mixture .
- At this point if your beans are not mashed on its own, you can use a potato masher or wooden spatula to mash half of the beans, we don't want to make a paste but a well incorporated chunkier mixture. (see pics in the blog for the desired results).
- Cover the pan with the lid and let it simmer on low flame for 5 mins
- Cook for another 5-10 mins without the lid or until all the liquid has evaporated .
- Taste the mixture and you can adjust it for Salt and Chili
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and keep it aside till serving . You can hold on to the salt and lime juice and put it only when ready to serve .This prevents the salsa from becoming too watery.
- Mix all the ingredients to the mash avocados and its ready to serve .
- Detailed recipe is available at http://youmeandthekitchen.com/2016/12/31/guacamole/
- Line up the Taco shells and put 2-3 Tbs of the Bean filling
- Top it with some chopped lettuce ,1 Tbs Guacamole ,1 Tbs Salsa , 1 Tbs Sour cream ,1/2 Tsp Sriracha and little cheese
- 1) For Kidney Beans and Black Beans (haricot beans), if you do not have the canned ones which are pre-boiled, you can soak the dry beans for 5-6 Hrs (preferably overnight ) and boil it in a pressure cooker until fully cooked (tender)
- 2) If you do not have the Taco seasoning available, you can make yours by mixing the below ingredients together
- 2 Tbs Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp salt
- 2 Tbs ground cumin
- 1/2 Tbs ground black pepper
- 1 Tsp garlic powder (optional, you can simply increase the Garlic's quantity in the Bean Filling)
- 1 Tsp onion powder (optional, you can simply increase the onion's quantity in the Bean Filling)
- 1 Tsp paprika/degi mirch
- 1 Tsp red pepper flakes
- 3) Instead of Taco shells, you can also use lettuce leaf and put all the fillings into it and its will be a healthier version of the same Taco
- 4) With the left over filling, you can also make a Rice Bowl. Just put all the ingredients in a bowl over some cooked rice and voila
Ingredients for Salsa
Bean Filling in the making 🙂