I usually pack my lunch to work …and I like variety …so some days its Indian Fried Rice, Veg Pulao , and others it Sandwiches , Chicken Kebabs ,Burgers ,Salads etc …Alright you guessed it right ….I am a FOODIE 🙂
Chicken is my favorite …and if its a Shawarma OMG ..I need one rt now …
Story behind my unending love for it started in Delhi , Saket. There is a tiny food joint near PVR Saket which goes by the name “Lebanese Point”. They make the juiciest and most delicious Chicken Shawarma and rotisserie chicken . Give it a try if you are near to that location …me and my family sometimes used to travel 30km in Delhi traffic just to eat that.
So with that memory anytime if I have to eat in a food court and shawarma is one of the option , its an easy pick for me ….
One day I thought why not try and recreate the same taste at home with the limited kitchen appliances (traditionally for shawarma the chicken is slow roasted on a vertical axis grill) … and that led to “My style Chicken Shawarma”
Its really simple to put together and give you with multiple main course options. Today I will just show the two most common ways I eat it at my home ..
1) Shawarma Chicken Salad
2) Quinoa Chicken bowl
You can also eat this in a Pita Bread with the dip of your choice ….Garlic Dip/Mayo/Sriracha/Sour Cream all goes well with this
Lets get into the recipe (there are step by step pics after the recipe)
- 500g Boneless Chicken (Cut in small pieces)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Red Chili Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Sour Cream (See Notes for substitutes)
- 1 Tablespoon cooking oil
- 3 Garlic Cloves (Grated)
- 1 inch Ginger (Grated)
- 1 Teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- Salt to Taste
- 1 Cup Cooked Quinoa (See notes)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 Small Chopped Onion
- 1/2 Tablespoon Cooking Oil
- 1/4 Tablespoon Black Pepper (crushed)
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Corriandar/Cilantro (for Garnish optional)
- Salt to taste
- 1 Cup Chopped Lettuce
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Cucumbers
- 1/2 Cup Cherry Tomato
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1/4 Teaspoon Crushed Black Pepper
- Salt To Taste
- In a bowl ,marinate the raw chopped chicken with all the ingredients except the oil.
- Let it marinate for 15 mins to upto max one day.
- In a non stick pan over medium low heat , add the oil and let it heal.
- Add the marinated chicken to the pan and let it cook closed for 10 mins.
- At this stage the chicken would have released loads of water, and it's almost cooked.
- Continue cooking uncovered at a low heat with occasional stirring till all the water is evaporated and chicken cooked.
- You can taste the chicken at this stage to adjust the salt and chili as per you liking
- The Shawarma Style chicken is ready to eat as a starter , on salad or with Quinoa
- In a non stick pan on medium low heat, add the cooking oil, once heated add the chopped onion.
- Add the salt at this stage , that helps cooking the onions quickly.
- Once the onions turn translucent (slightly pink) add the cooked quinoa and rest of the spices .
- Let this cook for 2-3 mins and turn off the heat and add some of the above cooked Shawarma Chicken
- Garnish with fresh coriander/cilantro.
- Serve it with some salad , lime juice etc
- 1) In place of sour cream , you can use Yogurt/Curd and 1 tsp of Ghee or Butter to make the chicken more juicy.
- 2) For Cooking Quinoa - to the deep pan over medium-high flame, add 2 cups of water and bring it to boil ,Add 1/2 Cup of raw quinoa and lower the flame to medium low. Cover the pan and let the quinoa cook for next 10-15 mins. Uncover the pan and let it simmer till all the water is evaporated. You can stir occasionally to check it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan and get burnt. Remove the pan from heat and cover the pan and let it sit for 10 mins
Into the Pan it goes (almost done)