I am not too much into experimenting while baking cookies, I do bake some kind of cookies almost every week , mostly that is Almond Flour walnut cookies, that have an Indian touch to it but Choco-Chip Cookies ..Nah , not very much.
Not that I don’t like them , but, I like them very much …actually too much and that’s the reason why I stopped indulging into it, Coz I was never able to stop at one Cookie .
I used to get that big box from Costco from the freshly baked section and munch couple of them in a go. Lets face it, I am not getting any younger, my metabolism hurts …and I should make some healthy choices (read restrict sugar in my case).
Ohh, I wish those days are back, when me and my sisters used to compete ..in “Eating Competition at home”, as to who will eat more sweets ..especially during the festive seasons :)..
So when a sweet fren of mine Shruti Gour (She is a fashionista , checkout her blogpage Blue Shoes Pink Skies for tips and tricks) asked me to post some tried and tested recipe for soft and chewy Choco Chip cookie, I got super excited.
My excitement was two folds …
1) I get to cook cookies.
2) I love the fact that people show trust in you and want to try things you share with them , in this case were my recipes
So my journey into cookie baking is very new . This is the recipe that I am following , its crispy on the outside and soft n chewy inside .
The trick for making them chewy is to use more Brown Sugar and under bake them . Brown sugar is what makes them chewy , as it has the molasses .
If you like your cookies to be crispy, just use equal proportions of white and brown sugar is to bake them just a little more .
I will keep you guys posted if I have some major improvements or alterations on this recipe in future …
For now njoy these with a glass of Milk
- 4 oz Softened Butter at Room temperature (see Notes)
- 1 Egg at room temperature
- 1 and Half cup semisweet choco chips (see notes)
- Half teaspoon salt (see notes)
- 1 and 1/4th cup of all purpose flour
- 3/4th (Three fourth) cups of Brown Sugar
- 1/4 th (one fourth) cups of granulated White Sugar
- Half Teaspoon Baking Soda
- Preheat the oven at 325" Fahrenheit or ~160 " Celsius .
- In a large bowl , add the softened butter and both kinds of sugars , and with a help of a hand mixer or spatula, mix the ingredients until they are well combined and creamy . refer the blog for photos.
- Add the egg to the mixture and combine well
- In a separate bowl ,combine the Flour , Baking soda , Choco Chips and salt and stir to combine .
- Add the Dry Ingredients mix to the butter mixture and mix to incorporate together
- Here is a tip, to make evenly shaped and evenly baked cookies . After the above step ,make approximate 24 round balls of the mixture using hand or an Ice cream scoop and lay them on a greased baking sheet and put them in the Refrigerator for at-least 2-3 hours. See notes for more details.
- Once ready to bake, line the cookie dough balls at-least 2 inch apart from each other on a baking sheet and bake them for 8 mins. Switch off the oven at 8 mins and let the cookies stay inside the oven for 3-4 mins max .Under baking is a key to chewy and soft cookies and a little thicker cookies
- Take the cookies out of the oven, they will be super soft (fragile) at this stage, let them cool completely
- Enjoy the cookies with milk or some more chocolate and whipped cream or nutella
- 1) Use the softened butter only . If you use melted butter ,you will now be able to get the exact creamy texture
- 2) You can use salted butter as well, just avoid salt when using salted butter
- 3) You can use unsweetened choco chips or even bakers chocolate chopped into small chucks
- 4) The Butter and Sugar creamy mix, this step is usually referred as "Creaming the Butter".If you are using a spatula ,you would need to rub the sugar and butter against the walls of the bowl until the mixture is creamy .This step is important and the texture of teh final cookie depends on this too.
- 5) Refrigerating the cookies dough balls prior to baking, ensures that each cookie bakes to same size and shape. It also helps to create chunkier cookies instead of too thin
- 6) The Cookie dough balls can be stored in a refrigerator for weeks for future cookies cravings :). When ready to bake , just thaw the balls for 15-20 mins at the kitchen counter and put in the oven to bake
- 7) Make sure the cookies dough ,when lined up on the baking sheet for baking , there is atleast 2 inch gap between them, as they are going to expand and we don't want the cookies that stick together (Pun intended )
Cookie Dough ball (this pic does look like a telescopic view of some planet ) hehehe
The placement for baking (one arm distance ;), Bad Joke again 🙂
Ahh the wait is over its out of the oven ..ohh what , we need to wait until this cools down …ohh Man ….Almost same shape …who cares about the shape when taste is soo good 🙂